Sunday, February 22, 2009

WA~5 Wedding: bride

It was the day I had dreamed about my whole life, since the day of Aunt Flora's wedding when I got to throw little pink petals down the isle before she entered through the chapel's doors. She looked beautiful, not the way I had remembered the year before when we visited her in Kansas. Then, she wore those hideous jean overalls, covered with spots of dirt. But today was my turn. 

I looked around the church, which would soon be filled with over 200 guests,  making sure the decorations were perfect. The white flowers were tinted brilliant colors which shone down from the bright sun beating on the marvelous stained glass windows. I hit a key on the organ, the sound ringing from on of the gold pipes. 

I glanced at my watch. Soon guests would be arriving. I quickly hurried to the ready room. My maid of honor sat in front of the mirror surrounded with make-up and my veil, shaking her leg impatiently. She quickly wished me luck and placed the veil carefully under my bun of curled hair. She then left, leaving me alone in the room. I sat there soaking the last minutes of my unmarried moments. 

The door open and I quickly turned to see my father standing paused in the door way. A tear formed in the corner of his eye but was soon hidden by a blink, as he reached his hand out to mine. We stood outside the front church doors until Mendelssohn’s Wedding March began to flow from the same organ I had played earlier. The doors then opened. I could hear the gush of air they created over the silence that fell upon the guests. 

I started down the isle. Walking slowly, each step matching the beat of the music. I was watching the ground, making sure I wouldn’t trip. My eye caught a white rose that lay on the side of a bench. As I advanced forward, I kept my eye on the flower. It was beautiful. I couldn’t look away. I was right beside the rose now. I felt a tug on the front of my dress. Suddenly, I saw the ground fly towards my face. Next thing I knew, I was inches from the red carpet. I was mortified but I put on a straight face and kept moving as the guests tried to hide their gasps. In what seem like forever, my father and I reached the alter, where he gave me a quick kiss while mumbling, “I love you.”

I looked into the eyes of my fiancĂ©e. He stood still as he held his hands out to hold mine. He was trying not to giggle about the unexpected trip, but his eyes were gleaming with happiness. We said our vows and placed the shiny rings on one another’s fingers. He then took the lower of my back and pulled me in to give me our most passionate kiss yet. He then placed his hand in mine and walked me to the doors as the guests followed. 

No comments: